Friday, May 2, 2014

Coby Oze

Wednesday April 30, 2014

Last night EIE and the URJ board had the opportunity to see a private concert by Coby OzeCoby Oze used to be in a very famous Israeli band called Tpacs. In 2008 Tpacs separated, but Coby still preforms on his ownCoby’s music’s allowed me to experience real Israeli culture and jam out to classic Israeli tunes with my friends. As Coby preformed, the lyrics were up on the screen behind him in both Hebrew and English. We were able to follow along and understand what his songs were about. I found it very interesting that almost all of his songs talked about God, Judaism, Israel, or politics. I was surprise that even these popular songs that play on the radio all deal with big issues. This is very opposite from songs on the radio at home which typically talk about relationships, parties and love.Pop singers don’t deal with religious or political issues because they may offend people and therefore the artist could lose fans. For Israeli artist that’s not the same problem. I find it funny how for me it is in temple where we sing songs about God and religion but in Israel the pop songs deal with religious issues.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with everything you said. I think that that night was such a fun night! In America, the artists are always singing about relationships and whatever else they want to sing about, while songs in Israel deal with Israel, Judaism or politics. I also think that whenever you go to a concert in America, the artists are trying to look their best, do the best performance and dance the best. It doesn't even matter if they can sing! As long as they look the best. In Israel, at least the one we went to, the concert was just so chill. He told us stories, and did his own thing. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete